Thoughts, ideas and random stuff from Talliestar.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Wow, I haven't blogged for a long long long long time. Last term was crazy busy with the ridiculous amounts of work they seem to enjoy heaping on us now we're in year 12, the school play (which turned out to be a really great experience) and trips to London/Exeter/Birmingham etc seemingly every weekend. And now Christmas is over (it was a good one) and I've just come back from 2 and a half weeks in South Africa. And I just felt like blogging. So here I am. Let's go through a few things.

- The movie 'Waitress'. I think it may have already come and gone in UK cinemas, but I saw it on the plane and LOVED IT. Seriously. I absolutely adored it. See it. Please. I'm rushing out to buy the DVD as soon as it's out. For Livs - one of the main guys in it was Captain Reynolds in Firefly and Serenity. I just looked him up.

- I also saw 'December Boys' (this blog is really going to be an aoverview of everything I saw while away) with Danile Radcliffe doing a really rather convincing Australian accent. Well done him. It was a nice film, not amazing, about these orphan boys by a beach in Australia. Amazing cinematography though.

- 'Hairspray' - seen this four times now. Possibly one of the best movies ever.

- 'The Great Debaters' - watched this on Christmas day. AMAZING film, about these students at a black colege in the American South in the 30s who start a debating team and start going to competitions all over the country. Directed by and starring Denzel Washington. SEE IT.

- 'Evening' - lovely romantic film with a ton of great actors. I want to see this again.

- 'Enchanted' - oh my God, I loved this film. Am SO buying it. Even my mum and grandmother loved it too. And it has Idina Menzel in it!!!

- 'The Jane Austen Book Club' - nice romantic comedy/drama with lots of good actors and characters, especially good if you're a Jane Austen fan. Has Emily Blunt in, who is fantastic.

- 'As It Is In Heaven' - odd Swedish (I think?) film I was kind of made to go and see. Didn't really like it.

- 'The Class' - this show has been on here for several months but I'd never seen it. I saw two episodes on the plane and honestly could not stop laughing. Frickin HILARIOUS.

- 'Pushing Daisies' - a new drama that will probably come to the UK soon. I saw the pilot. Really excellent show, much more like a movie than a TV show, about a guy who can touch dead people and bring them back to life. Stars the wonderful Kristin Chenoweth and Anna Friel. There's also something very Tim Burton-like about it and it's very very unusual. I highly recommend it, I hope I get to see more episodes.

- 'She's The Man' - I know, I know, this has been out for ages but I finally saw it in SA. Hilarious! Loved it.

- 'Step Up' - saw this again. Did you know there's a 'Step Up 2' coming soon? It's exactly like the first one but with the socio-economic classes of the main guy and girl reversed. Original!

So that's what I've been watching. I know, a lot. Actually I have also read the entire His Dark Materials trilogy again and loved it! I think I understood it much better this time.

So there are all my recommendations. See them all. Except the Swedish film.

Tallie xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home